Tuesday 15 July 2008

Fight The Fear Of Filo

I never understood what the problem was with filo pastry (sorry if that makes you want to slap me, cause I know some people fear it. I do avoid yeast when possible, if that helps? I thought so). My mum uses it pretty often, and I prefer it to say, puff pastry. I just never considered it a problem medium, so to speak.

A 'medium'. Ahaha. For my art.

...No, it's okay for me to laugh at that. It's just rude when you do it.



On the subject of my pastry masterpieces (imagine me saying all this very sarcastically by the way, or else you might want to slap me again. Generally speaking I often deserve it, but let's at least wait for the opportune moment), I hereby present to you a work of art to rival the pyramids...

...and also some filo pastry, spinach & ricotta studel affair rubbish.

(I jest, once again. This is delicious). It would probably look better if I were a better cook - I fear poetry is my true calling, sorry everyone - but this doesn't reflect on my filo ability. Or filobility, if you will. I am confident in my filobility. I take pride in it.

*I mean, I do use bought filo sheets. You realised that, right? God, it's like you don't know me at all.

Filobility. Fility. Filability.

The Oxford English Dictionary should just employ me already.


Spinach, Ricotta & Pine Nut Strudel
Recipe from Good Food Vegetarian Summer 2008
Serves 8, 230 cals p/s
Prep 35 mins, Cook 30 mins

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, finely sliced
2 crushed garlic cloves
15g sage, roughly chopped
350g spinach leaves, shredded
350g ricotta cheese
50g pine nuts, toasted
freshly grated nutmeg
6 sheets filo pastry (about 33x24cm)
50g butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 200C. Heat oil in a large frying pan, then fry the onion over a low heat for 10-12 mins until caramelised. Stir in the garlic, then cook for a further 1-2 mins. Add the sage and spinach, then immediately transfer to a bowl. Add the ricotta, pine nuts and fresh nutmeg to taste (I overdid the nutmeg a bit) and season well.

2. Lay two sheets of filo pastry on the work surface with the long side nearest you, and overlapping by 2.5 cm to make one double width sheet. Brush with a little of the melted butter. Top with two more sheets and brush with more butter. Spoon the filling along one of the long edges. Fold the short ends in over the filling, then roll up the pastry.

3. Place the strudel, seam down, on a baking sheet and brush with more melted butter. Scrunch the two remaining sheets and arrange them over the strudel. Drizzle over any remaining butter, then bake for 25-30 mins until golden and crisp. Transfer to a serving plate or board and slice to serve.


11 comments:

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Sounds/looks good, Indigo! Brave of you to stop and take photos during the process, given that filo dries out so quickly.

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing...the flakiness makes my heart skip a beat!

Y said...

Filobility.. hahaha! You should try making it from scratch one day, then you will feel the fear! muahahahaha...

test it comm said...

That filo pastry looks really good!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love working with filo. You did a really good job.

grace said...

i knew phyllo was photogenic, but dang! these pictures are amazing! you have reduced me to a drooling, mumbling flaky-pastry-craving buffoon. :)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I can "filo" that tasted really good!

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm filo pastry wrapped deliciousness. The first and only time I made a strudel, I tried to follow the instructions and ended up following it wrong - resulting in a very odd folded round sort of a thing. Delicious though!

Cakelaw said...

This looks delicious! I am a filo fearer, so I am really impressed.

Anonymous said...

the flakyness is making my stomach gumble, oh goodness, it looks great!
You sure did a wonderful job with working with it!

Faith P said...

Greaat reading your blog post