Monday 27 October 2008

Capital Letter Cheesecake Bars


Sometimes I suspect that I'm subliminally trying to sabotage my own baking efforts so I'll be forced to make something again. Take these for example. Yes, every square is a little mouthful of Purest Heaven... but I screwed up, of all things, the chocolate drizzle over the top. How can anyone screw up a chocolate drizzle? All you have to do is, uh, drizzle chocolate. But no; mine seized up in the microwave until I had to add so much milk and butter to sort it out that it turned into a sauce/glaze. And it bothers me. It really does. I keep looking at the pictures and imagining them with drizzle; it's the tragedy of my heart.

And I just know I won't be satisfied until I make them again. With chocolate drizzle. And then I'll have to eat them, and you know, my life is so traumatic?


There are possibly a couple of things that could persuade me to forgive these bars. Firstly: they're called 'chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake bars', and if you think that's a mouthful, wait til you take a real one.

Secondly: OH MY DAYS THEY'RE THE BEST THINGS EVER.


I mean, hello, CHEESECAKE (I think we all know how I feel about cheesecake, and to avoid scaring off anyone who doesn't know, I won't go into further detail). COOKIE DOUGH. I think everyone feels the same way about cookie dough. CHOCOLATE CHIPS. Self explanatory. CAPITAL LETTERS.

--Okay, fine, I just like to over-emphasize. Otherwise you might've missed all the chocolate chip/cookie dough/cheesecake components in these chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake bars, or something.

To summarise: you absolutely can't go wrong with something like this.



Apart from the chocolate drizzle. Apparently it's easier to go wrong with a chocolate drizzle than you'd expect.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
Adapted from the version found on Bake Or Break
The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook.

Crust:
200gish (1 & 1/2 c.) choc chip cookie crumbs (I used choc chip Maryland cookies cause my flatmate was, get this, THROWING THEM OUT. They'd apparently 'gone soft'. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN SUCH BLASPHEMY. The original recipe uses plain graham crackers/digestives but also includes about 70g mini chocolate chips, which I omitted)
75g unsalted butter, melted

Sorry measurements are vague, by the way; I did half quantities and improvised a lot. If you have American measuring cups, you might want to dig them out for this one.

Preheat oven to 325°.

1. Butter a 9"-square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving enough to extend over the sides. Butter the parchment paper.

2. Combine cookie crumbs and butter until crumbs are moistened. Stir in chocolate chips if using. Press crust mixture into bottom of pan and 1 inch up sides. Bake for 6 minutes. Set pan on wire rack to cool

Cookie Dough:
75g unsalted butter, at room temperature
40g light brown sugar
3 tbsp caster sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g plain flour
100g (1 c.) semisweet chocolate chips

3. Using an electric mixer , mix butter, brown sugar, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract at medium speed until smooth. Decrease mixer speed to low and add flour. Mix just until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.

Fun fact: I stirred this all by hand and broke my wooden spoon in half.

Not deliberately.

Filling:
280g cream cheese, at room temperature
45g (1/4 c.) caster sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar just until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract, beating just until blended. Pour batter into baked crust. Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls over the top of the filling.

Bake about 30 minutes, or until set. Transfer to wire rack.

For chocolate topping, melt 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave. Add about 1/2 tablespoon of butter if necessary to make chocolate smooth. Drizzle over top of bars. Cool bars in pan completely, about an hour.

Using the edges of the parchment paper, remove bars from pan. Cut into bars and serve.

16 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Oh man! You totally have to do them again! Not for the chocolate drizzle, but to mail them to me!

Catastrophe Waitress said...

very seductive pics-
they purr, eat me, EAT ME!

Anonymous said...

Can I have one please? They look divine!
I really need cheering up...
Love you
Clair.x
xxxxx

Anonymous said...

if you posted some to me in cambridge then I would love you even more than I do.

which is a lot.

also i'm being disgustingly fit and healthy at the minute so I need some chocolattttttttte =]

xxx

Y said...

Seriously, who needs a chocolate drizzle when you can have a chocolate puddle? I love the word puddle when associated with chocolate! :D

grace said...

waste not, want not--excellent use for your soft cookies. :) and who knew chocolate drizzle could be so troublesome? actually, i did--i've had plently of battles with the stuff. :)

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

OMG! They can't be legal, surely?

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Let me help take these messed up drizzle bars off your hands! YUM!

BTW, I wish my mess ups were more like yours. When I mess up I mess up! LOL!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

Ha, these do sound great! And really, what isn't better with more chocolate?

Rosie said...

Oh boy they look good to me, even with your *slurp* *drool* chocolate puddle!!

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

If I do not ingest one of them immediately I will explode. Seriously, my bood sugar is waaaaay down since the other day at morrisons I was looking at some cakes... and then realised that I had packed them! X_X But on bright side also found a HSM cake mwahaha but I'd take your divine heavenly foodgasmic baking even over HSM food, oh yes! It's just that good.

So please send me some <3

Anonymous said...

It's my inner Hommer Simpson speaking:

`Yuuuummmmmmyyyyyy'

Anonymous said...

I don't eat cheese but with all the capital c in these, you actually made me drool, young lady! Corr.

Nic said...

You are just cruel posting this, it looks incredible!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. they look divine, seriously. If you do visit me in birmingham, I am buying the ingredients for this and we are making them, by that I mean you can make the bars and I'll do the chocolate drizzle, because I'm sure I can handle that lols. not that I'm better than you at it, just I don't believe in doing chocolate in the microwave as you well know and secretly think that was your problem all along.
Josh keeps throwing perfectly good food out too, I had to wrestle some noodles out of his hands the other day because they were out of date by one day and were completely fine.love you
xxxx

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Omg those look delicious!